Friday, October 2, 2020

Life or Livelihood: The Devil's Choice

Image source

So, we're in mass panic in my school district right now. A couple of days ago, the school board came out with a plan to move us off of "Plan C" (fully remote teaching/learning) into "Plan B" (a mixture of remote and in-person teaching/learning). 

"Plan" is an exaggeration if by plan you mean an organized approach with contingencies and backups, and evidence of consideration of the ripples of these decisions.

Here's what I've been told:
  • By November 16th all staff must return in the building even if we are 100% virtual
  • By October 12th self-contained teachers and needed personnel must report in the building.
  • Students in self-contained settings will have the option to report back on October 27th.
  • Students will be given the choice of 100% remote or hybrid with a staggered entry starting second semester.
  • Teachers may bring their school-aged children into their classrooms while they are in the building but must follow all of the same protocols. They are discussing learning labs as well.
I'm not going to detail all my concerns and objections here now, though they are legion.

I've sent my comments to the school board and within the appropriate channels within my school and district. 

But I will say that's its disheartening how little teachers have been invited to virtual tables where the conversations are being held and decisions are being made. 

I am not cannon fodder or an acceptable loss and if you force me into it, I choose life over livelihood. That might mean I'm done teaching. 

1 comment:

  1. Update: They've pushed the "everyone will teach from school" day to December 7 now, admitting we probably don't need 2.5 months to learn new routines. Glad to see at least that much consideration.

    ReplyDelete