Monday, January 4, 2021

After Holiday Musings

Today was my first day back in the virtual classroom after our winter holidays break. 

Image Source

Even though I tried not to get so far off pattern on sleep that I would struggle, I failed, succumbing to "quiet house syndrome" and staying up late reading, watching movies, and playing games. So I had a hard time falling asleep last night and a hard time waking up this morning. In fact, I was so sleepy, I resorted to a double shot espresso--something I usually save for Fridays.

I know that breaks like these are supposed to be for recouping my energy and enthusiasm, but I find that my bounce-back is slower with each year. My current theory is that I've been teaching for 26 years, and the recovery period for that is 26 years. So check back when I'm in my 80s and we'll see if I've recovered ;-)


I'm not a big winter holidays person--even before the plague descended in 2020, I avoided holiday travel, big parties, and over the top celebration plans in favor of quiet time with those I love best. So, this holiday season wasn't really that different than my normal. In fact, it was better for rest and recuperation, since there was a lot less external pressure to get out and do things. 

Staying home meant I was a good citizen instead of an antisocial introvert. My extroverted friends didn't keep trying to save me from what they regard as sad and lonely boredom. 

Image source

Still, I wasn't ready, emotionally and physically, to get back on the teaching horse today, but you know what? As soon as I stepped into a classroom with kids (even a digital one), that all went away. It was so genuinely good to see and hear from my kiddos and know they were okay, to hear about their gifts (and thankfully not very many travels), and even to hear them whine about coming to school. 

It's funny how I can need recovery time and a break from my students and miss them fiercely at the same time. So welcome back, kiddos. I really did miss you. May the new year bring you joy and learning. I look forward to seeing who you become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment