Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Tips for my Kids for School from Home


I'm thinking of you a lot, mis monitos. I hope you are staying healthy and aren't suffering too much from all this extra time at home. Our school district is doing its best to provide you with what you need. Call the school if you need anything--not just schoolwork. We can help with food and supplies, too, just ask!

Some of you are working hard on your schoolwork, I know. I've been getting assignments turned in and questions to answer and reports from the different services letting me know that you're accessing the work I put on-line for you. A lot of you are working hard and slaying the schoolwork.

Others, I expect are struggling. Working from home is different than anything you've done before, except for the few of you who have home-schooled before. It can be really difficult, being your own boss.

So here are a few thoughts that might help:

1. Plan your work out

Without bells sending you from room to room and dividing up your time for you, it's up to you to decide when you work on what. This is a great opportunity to do your work the way you want to. You don't have to stop in the middle of your math just because it's 10:00 and time for science now, right? You can finish what you're doing at your own pace.

What's important is setting a pace!

I've got a middle schooler at home myself, so here's what we did.

First, we made a list of all the work she had for each class. We did ours on a big piece of paper and stuck it to the wall where we can see it. Since Dad and I are both working at home, too, we can help make sure she stays on track, but if your family had to go to work, this is a way you might keep yourself on track too!


Then, we sat down and divided the work into chunks, deciding which days she would do which part of the work. She decided she wanted to follow a version of her school schedule, so she's doing the work in the same order that she would have done at school. 

If it was me, I'd do the stuff I like the least first, saving the work I find more personally interesting or fun as my reward. 

Here's her checklist for ELA, for example: 



2. Set a schedule.

It's easy to let these days just slip through your fingers, sleeping till noon and getting nothing done with your time. You don't have to work the same hours you would have done at school, but it's a bad idea to try and squeeze all this work into the last moments before we go back to school too!

Work it out with your families and choose what makes sense. If you're going to need help on your math, maybe work on math when someone is available to help you, and do the reading and science when your adults are busy if you can do those on your own.

You can set a schedule with lots of breaks, bribing yourself with the promise of something you enjoy like playing with you dog, or some time playing video games.

Remember, too, that your teachers are still there, just an email or phone call away. You can reach me through school email, and if you don't have access, you can call school and they'll get a message to me for you.

3. Communicate! 

With you guys at home and me at my house, I can't see your beautiful faces. Your faces are my biggest hint sometimes that you are confused! School from home is NOT the same as being in the same room together, so it's extra important that you speak up if you're having troubles: if something doesn't work, or you don't understand, or you don't have something you need, tell us!

We're lucky that this is happening in the 21st century, where there are so many technological helpmates at our fingertips. You've got the laptops our school provided to you, as well as telephones and other devices you might use to reach out.

This includes your social life. It can get pretty lonely away from all your friends. If you feel down or depressed from the isolation, let the adults in your life know so they can try to help. We can't make the sickness go away and hold a school dance for you just yet, but we'll do our best to help you feel less alone!

Love you kiddos. Take care of yourselves and come back to me strong and brave and knowing a little more than you did when you went home. (Hugs)

No comments:

Post a Comment